28 January 2007

Shahi Snan 1 - Kumbh Mela 2007

Posted by Casey Meade on 17 Jan 2007

This video's not perfect, I know! but I'm kind of giddy right now because I just successfully uploaded it in an internet cafe here in Allahabad, India, barely 24 hours after this procession took place. I was getting over a cold, and didn't go out yesterday morning... I had a 'been there done that' smugness with which I declared that I would stay and watch our well-placed, but very vulnerable tent. Cerdar, our default (but very skilled) videographer was even sicker with a migrane. So Fernando rustled himself and Shiva and Lorna and Witt Davis before dawn and set out to surf the the babas breaking toward the river. Fernando's never used this camera before... and I've never edited a piece, sitting on my nees in the middle of the night with people snoring and coughing all around me... like a symphonic crescendo of wheezing and hacking. (you try to make 5 million people to leave their viruses at home). So, it's not perfect, but it's here... and it is a pretty crazy thing. What is it? Good question. It all goes down again on the 19th and 24th and you can bet I'll be there to get another angle. So stay tuned, subscribe now via iTunes or FireAnt and catch the next vlognomad posts without lifting another finger.

You can also view exerpts from our feature documentary, Take Me To The River, shot at the 2001 Maha Kumbh Mela Festival here.

Casey Meade
Allahabad India
16 January 2007


No comments: